Friday, June 16, 2006

Office Space


Anybody seen the movie Office Space? Well, that's where I work. Minus the gangsta music, although that would definitely make the day more enjoyable. So the company has been doing well lately, after coming through a 2-year slump amidst 2 layoffs, overtime, undertime, & no time. In celebration of hitting $65 million in premium for the month of May, my bosses (there are several--one for each day of the week, I believe) decided to give us a surprise. We each got a balloon and were told to pop it. Some had money in it, some didn't. WHAT KIND OF REWARD IS THAT?? As I stood there watching several fellow co-workers scream in delight as they grabbed their $100 bill, I thought 'I should save myself the agony & not pop this balloon.' But no. I'm a sucker for punishment. I popped it and out floated a white piece of paper. Ah ha! It's a check! My heart soared! My ship has come in! Is it $100? $500? What bliss! I LOVE this company! Heck no. It was a typed message that said 'Thanks for all your hard work." And that was it. Done deal.

Now this is why people go postal at work. I read a news article a while back about a man in California that reported to work that morning by open firing with his shotgun. Now I understand. He might've gotten the same balloon.

14 comments:

Mandy said...

Ahahahaha!!! Oh, Jenny, that is classic. The real question is, are you on board yet? Huh, huh?

Well, thanks for making me laugh after a long, stress-filled week. Thanks, J-LO. Thanks for all your hard work. HAHAHAHA.

bloggershy said...

YES. i'm on board. and get this. . to congratulate me, the big HR guy in california sent me a plastic little piggy bank via inter-office mail. it was in one of those big manila envelopes. one of my bosses comes by & tosses it on my desk & says 'here ya go!'. i about slammed myself onto the floor underneath my desk, thinking it was a mail bomb. a PIGGY BANK in a MANILA ENVELOPE!

Mandy said...

dang. i got NOTHIN' when i "got on board." no piggy bank. just deductions from my check. shoot. ah, well. i'm just gonna dream of that rockin' retirement home i'm gonna have one day.

bloggershy said...

heck yeah, man.
so are you over camp yet?

Mandy said...

3 weeks down, 1 week to go!

katie said...

B-Shy! Love the Post! she's back, folks, and better than EVAH! you go, girl!! dang, and i would have done lost my freak if i had gotten that balloon!!!

Becky said...

If that is a true story then THAT SUCKS!!!!!

bloggershy said...

yes, true story. you heard it here. this is also the workplace where they (the bosses--all women, go figure) decided we'd have Snazzy Shoe Day. When the Big Boss from california is in town, they do stuff like this. So, the snazziest shoes i own might be my flip flops that actually have 2 colors on them instead of one (green & blue---GASP). so i did not participate in Snazzy Shoe Day. well, i went to a meeting w/ the Big Boss & several other coworkers. the Big Boss proceeded to go around the room & comment on all the other women's snazzy shoes. ooh, love the glitter. oh my gosh, are those glow-in-the-dark? seeing as it was winter-time, i was sporting my favorite running/hiking shoes. the color? grey & black. oh yes. so as everyone was showing off their strappy neon heels & such, i was trying my best to tuck my hiking shoes beneath my chair as much as i could. but alas. the Big Boss peared under the table & said 'and are those....hiking boots?' um, yeahhhhh. . and then an awkward silence happened where everyone made some sort of stupid comment about my dumb shoes. 'ooh, nice!' & 'yeah, they sure look comfy!'

shoot me now, i thought.

shorty said...

jenny - can you guess who this is? i love the post - you indeed work at office space - and the story about Snazzy Shoe day is rediculously funny.

Shannon said...

Jenny, shorty is NOT Me. I love this story. You should publish this in some magazine. Reader's Digest? I miss you!

Mandy said...

New.

Mandy said...

Post.

Mandy said...

Please?????

Mandy said...

47 days since we last had a laugh.
47 days since we last heard from youuuuuuuuuuu.
47 days, oh, our Moon is Not Full....
Why, oh Why, J-Lo, do you make us so blueeeeeeee????