Wednesday, August 18, 2010

the new victim

so miss poopy pants is my newest potty training victim. she's doing great. she constantly surprises me.

i like to start really slow, not force it in 3 days or a week or whatever. because let's face it. i don't have a ton of energy right now, and when potty training the Eldest, i had a newborn. so we like slow and steady around here. . so, the first initial thing i do is sit them on the potty right after teeth-brushing, before bedtime. this way they get used to it as a routine, and then slowly add sitting on it in the morning, before nap, after nap, and then whenever needed.

so, she sat on the potty before bedtime last week. and it worked! something happened! and she was shocked, you should've seen her eyeballs get so huge. it was hilarious.

but, since she showed me she understands what the deal is, i've been pushing her a bit more. except today she threw a wrench in my plans. she was with me in my bathroom, and she showed interest in sitting on it. i didn't run go get the potty seat, so i just sat her there and she held onto the sides like a big girl and did her business. i was shocked & had visions of now being able to use public restrooms without fear of her falling in or me getting a hernia holding her over the potty. .

once done, she ran to her bathroom down the hall and was super excited, pointing, yelling 'PAH! PAH! PAH!' (potty). obviously, she wanted to potty hop, using both potties back to back. i firmly said 'no, you just went and it was such a good job. let me go get you an m&m.' she yelled an explitive (i'm sure of it) and ran and hid behind the drapes and peed. again. and i'm sure it was because she was mad at me.

geeez. so, i've got some kinks to iron out, but she is well on her way. and i am extremely pumped to only use a diaper during naps and bedtime and on outings. there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

at least for a few more months. .

4 comments:

Beth in NC said...

Yay! Good for her (and you). :o)

Elle said...

Hang in there. I am potty training my girls too so I know your frustrations all too well. Cute story. Stopping by from the blog frog. http://CleverlyChanging.com

Anne said...

You'll get there and she will feel like a Big Girl. I have 3 girls of my own and 1 boy. They are in High School and College now so enjoy the time you have. They grow fast. Cute blog. I'll be visiting often.

Anne @ http://lessonsthrulife.com

Amber said...

I love your blog! I'm following. :)